Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 11 - Civitavecchia

Back in sunshine...and hot, hot, hot in Civitavecchia. I was walking off with my luggage so enjoyed a leisurely breakfast before heading down the gangway for the last time.  Caught the free shuttle bus to the port gates and headed up towards the train station. There were masses of people hauling their luggage up to the station and I got to thinking I really have no idea where I am heading next...it's hot, the ocean is beautiful...and that little cafe there is sure to have a nice Italian capuccino. And that is about as far as I got for the day as I opted to stay in town overnight, found The Roses Mediterraneo Hotel and got a room looking out over the Mediterranean.
I then found the seamen's shop with cheap internet (two hours for five euros) and did a little catch up on my email and blog and searching for travel options...though once all the cruise passengers finished treking past the town became a more laid back beachside atmosphere.
Went for supper at the restaurant just up from the hotel and encountered two of the snobbiest waiters...it started when the first started to pour me a glass of bubbly white wine, which I said I did not want as I can not drink on my medications...and he huffed off.  The second waiter finally brought me the menu (pricey) and got indignant when I asked him to turn off the lamp that was blinding me at the table. I ordered the baby lamb chops, a green salad and a glass of water (32 euros). The waiters basically ignored me, other than to drop off my plate of overcooked lamb and wilted greens...and then I had to ask three times before they brought the bill.  It wasn't that I wasn't dressed right, as other diners were in more casual clothes, and they weren't busy - just ignorant. Perhaps it was because I was eating there and was not a guest of the Hotel where the restaurant was located.

No comments:

Post a Comment