Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 2 - port of Piraeus

Off on the Panoramic Athens tour today. At 4.5 million population the city is huge and modern other than no high rises (in order not to block the view of the Acropolis). Hilly, with many narrow streets while other areas boasted six lanes of traffic. I was treated to views of sights only seen in books before with the highlights Hadrian's Arch, ruins of the Temple of Olypian Zeus, Panathinion Stadium, the white marble Olympic stadium and the Acropolis. The theatre ruins (Odeon) at the Acropolis are still used for concerts (ie. Andre Riel) and the Athens Festival. More modern points of interest were Constitution Square, tombe of the unknown soldier with the honor guard in front of parliament (they even do their own changing of the guard ceremony), National Gardens, library and university.
I didn't go right up to the Acropolis and wander among the ruins. Our tour stopped at the base and entry to the Odeon - close enough to see it all without the hazardous walk. And it was hazardous as one lady I met at dinner stepped on a rock that turned sending her face first - bloody mess at the site that after medical attention was scrapes, one deep gash, black and blues over her body and quite a shiner.
By the time I got back to the ship my sinuses were causing pain right down to my teeth. I had to see the ship's doctor who looked at my sore gum, swollen glands and sinuses and prescribed some heavy duty antibiotics along with Tylenol 3's and strong dose Ibuprofen for the pain. The antibiotic requires avoiding exposure to the sun, no coffee and the Tylenol put me out for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment