Wednesday, May 11, 2011

April 29 - Trains and One Big Boat

Sad to say arrivederci  to Florence as I caught the cab to the central station. First was the train to Rome Termini through the Tuscan landscapes and small towns scattered on hillsides.
Have you ever seen something that makes you stare, and you try not to look but it is like a magnet? Well, I saw the hairiest back ever on a young lady...if she would only not have kept lifting and bending over her luggage in her low rider jeans, perhaps it would not have been such a fascination. Goes to show you never know what you're going to see next.
Rome to Civitavecchia hadn't changed much since I was last here five years ago. But the port at Civitavecchia certainly has...grown by leaps and bounds, including a cruise passenger terminal...a few kilometers from the train so I shared a taxi with a young couple celebrating their first anniversary with the cruise. (He had also graciously helped pack my luggage down and up the stairs at the train station).
Once at the cruise terminal the baggage manager took a look at my bags and said, 'Is that all you have?' somewhat incredulously. He then told me to just carry it on as it wasn't big enough to put through the baggage process. A proud moment for me - I really am travelling light! Took about 45 minutes from taxi drop off to my stateroom door, which is speedy considering the thousands of people to process for the ship. Mariner of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) is huge - the biggest ship I have ever been on I think. It even has an ice rink! Gotta go explore...

No comments:

Post a Comment