Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 24 and 25 - Easter and trains, travel to Italy

After breakfast it was a last farewell to the River Beatrice as the taxi headed to the train station to catch the first train back to Vienna to the south station on the outskirts. I then had a five and a half hour wait until the night train headed out to Florence.  So I locked by luggage into a locker and headed out for a walk around the neighborhood looking for a place to eat. Other than the Macdonalds and MacCafe nothing was open in the area. I headed back to the station to people watch and grab a gyro for my Easter dinner (quite a change from the gourmet on board).  Obviously the shop hadn't had their usual flow of customers as the meat was crisp and more like leather than the regular juicy gyro. I couldn't even chew through it so I picked it off and had a tomato, onion and lettuce on pita for my Easter dinner.
Was interesting people watching as many obviously split families met in the centre of the station to hand over children, along with families seeing off visiting family members for the Easter weekend.  I also saw a lot of twins. The other thing I just can't get used to is the number of cigarette smokers, especially in public areas. It is especially sad to see the young people buying cigs and chain smoking.
I picked up a tomato and cheese sandwich and coffee and headed up to the platform for the last hour. Had a nice chat with a group of Filipino workers, on their way home after an Easter get together (reminded me of Rocky Mountain House).
The train to Rome and on to Florence is a night train - my first experience in the sleeping (couchette) car, with shared four or six to a compartment. I shared with two other ladies and fortunately had a lower berth though I would have to say it is not very comfortable (but at least you can lay down and get your feet up). Olga said you get rocked like a baby, but admitted she usually doesn't get much sleep. Between the rocking, clickety clack and squealing wheels, than the sudden stillness-silence at stops, I now know why you don't get much sleep.
Once I arrived in Florence at 6:18 a.m. and the taxi ride to my apartment in Residence Il Giglio, I needed a few of hours sleep. That was followed by a good soak in the tub and I was ready to explore my new neighborhood and find something to eat.  I was lucky to find anything open, as other than in the tourist area everything is closed for the Easter Monday holiday. Mastrobulletta opened for lunch and from the senior clientele stopping in I think it was to make sure the regulars had a hot meal. Food was great - pesto sauced gnocchi with calamari and shrimp at the reasonable price of nine euros. The caffe latte was so tasty I ordered another with my dessert, a cake the waitress recommended. What a cake - think like pastry on the top and bottom and stuffed with pears and the creamiest chocolate - to die for tasty.
After a siesta I hopped a bus for the overview tour and enjoyed driving thru the throngs of people at the hot spots as I don't have the energy to tackle crowds today. I actually saw a lot of the city and now have a better idea of what I want to visit while in Florence.
Back in the "hood" I headed out to the local church, whose bells had been marking the passing of the day. "Cheisa dei Santi Gervasio e Protasio" is documented back to 1083, and inside are some late 16th century paintings, including two by Tito. The main door is quite beautiful with a sculptured descending dove dominating the wooden door. There are also a couple of statures honoring saints, along with a modern metal sculptural piece in the adjoining park. The ancient and the art are taken for granted, just part of everyday life - like the garbage dumpsters and recycle bin lining the street along the side of the church.
With everything closed I headed home for my supper of an apple, granola bar and tea. I also had a package of microwave popcorn which I tried to make in a post on the two burner stove in the apartment. To start with if you ever open a microwave popcorn bag, you may think twice about ever eating it as the corn is imbedded in a lot of lard-looking salty fat. And just to add to your store of useless information, microwave popcorn does not pop very well in a pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment