Saturday, April 9, 2011

April 3 - Good byes and sneezes

Final breakfast buffet onboard and farewells as busses transferred guests to the airport and I hopped a taxi to the train station.
Cruising into Frankfurt had me wondering which route my Grandparents had taken as they left Germany to emigrate to Canada.  Having seen thousands of years of history over the past weeks gives me a new appreciation for their roots and courage to emigrate.
I activated my Eurail Pass and enjoyed seeing the city become suburb, then beautiful hilly countryside on the two and a half hour train trip to Erfurt. The hotel was literally right outside the train station so I signed in and went in search of something for my headache, plugged sinus and cough...hard to do when my German dictionary and translator don't have much in the way of medical terms.
I also stopped at the tourist information office to get details on the bus to Tiefengruben (20 km away) however neither young lady working there had ever heard of it (even though it has been designated a historic site as a prime example of a circle village). They could find bus info to Bad Berka which from their net research was 4 km from Tiefengruben but that was as close as they got. I'm regretting now telling Harold and Marianne they didn't have to come down from Achim to show me around Tiefengruben.
Had an early dinner - Jaegerschnitzel with spirrelli. I though it would be a veal or chicken schnitzel with mushroom hunter gravy as per my trusty menu terms in the German dictionary.  Instead it was some sort of ham sausage slices breaded like schnitzel and rigatoni noodles in a tomato sauce. Ah the adventures of eating in a foreign language.
Headache and fever so it was off to bed - to sleep, perchance to dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment