Friday, April 22, 2011

April 7 Museum Day in Berlin

I should mention I am being spoiled by my new friends/family in Berlin.  When asked the innocent question what I usually eat for breakfast, I named a few alternatives I might eat.  For example yoghurt and fruit, or toast and an egg or cheese, or maybe a bowl of porridge.  The next day all those options, with the exception of the porridge, were on the table, plus various cold cuts and Siegfried had picked up fresh White Sausage that I must try.  It is a special seasoned port sausage that you boil then suck out of the sausage skin and is very tasty.  Who knew they would put it all before me, when anything would have done fine.  Claudia said it gave Siegfried and excuse to shop and eat, which he loves to do...I was just awed by the assortment of food on my private buffet.
After breakfast I head out via the bus and underground to museum island. I bought a museum pass which gives me access to 60 some museums in Berlin and the Island itself has five museums.  The pass is more economical if you plan to attend at least two museums.  The Boden famed for its sculptures, Pergammon with amazing ancient Roman, Babylonian, Macedonian artificats including the huge alter and gates, and the Neues Museum with a great collection of Egyptian exhibits and papyrus scrolls were highlights. If you are ever in Berlin the Pergammon should not be missed...it also had Syrian and Islamic cultural exhibits with beautiful Persian carpets, dieties and carved wooden relics.
Lunch was the Egyptian Sampler in the Neues Museum Cafe, though it seemed quite Greek to me with hummus, tabouli, tsitsiki, turkish bread and red lentil soup. From there it was over to the National Gallery which unfortunately was not honoring the museum card as they had a special exhibit of the artist, and excuse my spelling, Wagner with an admission charge. I am not a fan of his work so I opted to head over to the Dom cathedral. Got sidetracked and took a canal cruise which was almost like a private excursion as there were only five passengers on the boat as we cruised by many sights from another perspective than via the streets.
The white squares with black cross on the canal wall was a solemn reminder of those who lost their lives trying to escape the east via the waterway. All the museums and the canal cruise have English option audio systems that keep you well informed on what you are seeing. The museums system especially allow you to wander at your own pace, just key in the number code at an exhibit and you get to hear the details.
The canal cruise ended nest to the Dom and I just had time to explore before sitting down for the forty five minute Evensong service which is in German and English on Thursday. The huge pipe organ music was wonderful as the low booming notes resonated through your body. It was then time to head home for my last night in Berlin and the companionship of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment